Hi Gwen,
         Agree with you ACLs would be a better option. But not
all installations will be able to have secure setup and authorizer.
In a hosted service where they may not be ACLs or security setup this flag
helps prevent accidental topic deletion.
This config acted as a good gatekeeper to prevent accidents in deletion as
there is no confirmation or there is time delay in execution of the
deletion of a topic or a soft delete etc...
It's pretty much a catastrophic event in case of accidental deletion. We
also need to consider that not all installations will be secure and we need
provide a simpler way to gate keep certain functionalities such as delete
topic.

Thanks,
Harsha