Hi, Colin,

Thanks for the updated KIP. A few more comments below.

80.2 For deprecated configs, we need to include zookeeper.* and
broker.id.generation.enable.

83.1 If a broker is down, does the controller keep the previously
registered broker epoch forever? If not, how long does the controller keep
it? What does the controller do when receiving a broker heartbeat request
with an unfound broker epoch?

100. Have you figured out if we need to add a new record type for reporting
partitions on failed disks?

102. For debugging purposes, sometimes it's useful to read the metadata
topic using tools like console-consumer. Should we support that and if so,
how?

200. "brokers which are fenced will not appear in MetadataResponses. The
broker will not respond to these requests-- instead, it will simply
disconnect." If the controller is partitioned off from the brokers, this
design will cause every broker to stop accepting new client requests. In
contrast, if ZK is partitioned off, the existing behavior is that the
brokers can continue to work based on the last known metadata. So, I am not
sure if we should change the existing behavior because of the bigger impact
in the new one. Another option is to keep the existing behavior and expose
a metric for fenced brokers so that the operator could be alerted.

201. I read Ron's comment, but I am still not sure the benefit of keeping
broker.id and controller.id in meta.properties. It seems that we are just
duplicating the same info in two places and have the additional burden of
making sure the values in the two places are consistent.

202. controller.connect.security.protocol: Is this needed since
controller.listener.names and listener.security.protocol.map imply the
security protocol already?

203. registration.heartbeat.interval.ms: It defaults to 2k. ZK uses 1/3 of
the session timeout for heartbeat. So, given the default 18k for
registration.lease.timeout.ms, should we default
registration.heartbeat.interval.ms to 6k?

204. "The highest metadata offset which the broker has not reached." It
seems this should be "has reached".

205. UnfenceBrokerRecord and UnregisterBrokerRecord: To me, they seem to be
the same. Do we need both?

206. TopicRecord: The Deleting field is used to indicate that the topic is
being deleted. I am wondering if this is really needed since RemoveTopic
already indicates the same thing.

Jun