Thanks Boyang for the KIP!

Like Matthias, I do also not know the producer internal well enough to comment on the categorization. However, I think having a super exception (e.g. RetriableException) that encodes if an exception is fatal or not is cleaner, better understandable and less error-prone, because ideally when you add a new non-fatal exception in future you just need to think about letting it inherit from the super exception and all the rest of the code will just behave correctly without the need to wrap the new exception into another exception each time it is thrown (maybe it is thrown at different location in the code).

As far as I understand the following statement from your previous e-mail is the reason that currently such a super exception is not possible:

"Right now we have RetriableException type, if we are going to add a `ProducerRetriableException` type, we have to put this new interface as the parent of the RetriableException, because not all thrown non-fatal exceptions are `retriable` in general for producer"

In the list of exceptions in your KIP, I found non-fatal exceptions that do not inherit from RetriableException. I guess those are the ones you are referring to in your statement:

InvalidProducerEpochException
InvalidPidMappingException
TransactionAbortedException

All of those exceptions are non-fatal and do not inherit from RetriableException. Is there a reason for that? If they depended from RetriableException we would be a bit closer to a super exception I mention above.

With OutOfOrderSequenceException and UnknownProducerIdException, I think to understand that their fatality depends on the type (i.e. configuration) of the producer. That makes it difficult to have a super exception that encodes the retriability as mentioned above. Would it be possible to introduce exceptions that inherit from RetriableException and that are thrown when those exceptions are caught from the brokers and the type of the producer is such that the exceptions are retriable?

Best,
Bruno