I could be wrong but according to
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#connect_running Avro should be
supported out of the box.

key.converter - Converter class used to convert between Kafka Connect format
and the serialized form that is written to Kafka. This controls the format of
the keys in messages written to or read from Kafka, and since this is
independent of connectors it allows any connector to work with any
serialization format. Examples of common formats include JSON and Avro.
value.converter - Converter class used to convert between Kafka Connect format
and the serialized form that is written to Kafka. This controls the format of
the values in messages written to or read from Kafka, and since this is
independent of connectors it allows any connector to work with any
serialization format. Examples of common formats include JSON and Avro.

Brandon Brown