Thanks Jason,

We would only return the metadata for the latest fetches.
So, if someone wanted to use this to lazily maintain a
client-side metadata map for all partitions, they'd have to
store it separately and merge in new updates as they arrive.

This way:
1. We don't need to increase the complexity of the client by
storing that metadata
2. Users will be able to treat all returned metadata as
"fresh" without having to reason about the timestamps.
3. All parts of the returned ConsumerRecords object have the
same lifecycle: all the data and metadata are the results of
the most recent round of fetch responses that had not been
previously polled.

Does that seem sensible to you? I'll update the KIP to
clarify this.

Thanks,
-John