Hello Levani,

Thanks for the great write-up! I think this proposal makes sense, though I
have one minor suggestion regarding the protocol format change: note the
subscription info is part of the group metadata message that we need to
write into the internal topic, and hence it's always better if we can save
on the number of bytes written there. For this, I'm wondering if we can
encode the key part instead of writing raw bytes based on the
configurations, i.e.:

1. streams will look at the `task.assignment.rack.awareness` values, and
encode them in a deterministic manner, e.g. in your example zone = 0,
cluster = 1. This assumes that all instances will configure this value in
the same way and then with a deterministic manner all instances will have
the same encodings, which I think is a reasonable requirement.
2. the sent protocol would be "key => short, value => bytes" instead.

WDYT?

Otherwise, I'm +1 on the KIP!

Guozhang

--