Hi David.  I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to have the broker
send information about the last block it successfully received when it
requests a new block.  As the RPC stands right now it can't be
idempotent -- it just tells the controller "provide me a new block,
please".  One case where it might be useful for the RPC to be
idempotent is if the broker never receives the response from the
controller such that it asks again.  That would result in the burning
of the block that the controller provided but that the broker never
received.  Now, granted, the ID space is 64 bits, so we would have to
make ~2^54 requests to burn the entire space, and that isn't going to
happen.  So whether this is actually needed is questionable.  And it
might not be worth it to write the controller side code to make it act
idempotently even if we added the request field to make it possible.
But I figured this is worth mentioning even if we explicitly decide to
reject it.

Ron