I would like to raise an issue with making enable.idempotence=true by
default.

This has the ability to crash a broker with OutOfMemory exception whenever
there are too many producerIds.

This can take many current deployments by surprise.

I would suggest to hold on to this change until we have figured a way to
check the above behavior.

I have a left a comment too in the JIRA tracking this task:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/KAFKA-10619

Regards,
Soumyajit

On 2020/11/04 19:49:46 Cheng Tan wrote:
> I made the following changes since I sent out the last discussion message:
>
> 1. Rename org.apache.kafka.server.authorizer.Authorizer#authorizeAny to
org.apache.kafka.server.authorizer.Authorizer#authorizeByResourceType
> 2. Optimized the interface default of
org.apache.kafka.server.authorizer.Authorizer#authorizeAny, now it’s not
coupled with org.apache.kafka.server.authorizer.Authorizer#authorize any
more and having a better performance.

> Please feel free to comment and leave any thoughts. Any feedback will be
appreciated. Thanks.

> Best, - Cheng
>
> > On Oct 19, 2020, at 9:15 PM, Cheng Tan <ct...@confluent.io> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’m proposing a new KIP for enabling the strongest delivery guarantee
by default. Today Kafka support EOS and N-1 concurrent failure tolerance
but the default settings haven’t bring them out of the box. The proposal is
discussing the best approach to change the producer defaults to `ack=all`
and `enable.idempotence=true`. Please join the discussion here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-679%3A+Producer+will+enable+the+strongest+delivery+guarantee+by+default
<
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-679:+Producer+will+enable+the+strongest+delivery+guarantee+by+default