Hi Team,

I need some guidance related to Kafka Consumer Incremental Rebalance
Protocol.

I was following the below KIP and understood the upgrade path, But a bit
confused with the downgrade procedure.

*KIP:*
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-429%3A+Kafka+Consumer+Incremental+Rebalance+Protocol

I am currently using Kafka consumer 2.3.0 and trying to update it to 2.6.2.
Let's say, I switched to CooperativeStickyAssignor, and due to some reason,
I may need to roll back my build from production to 2.3.0. Also please
note, we are using ECS Blue-Green deployment.

As per KIP, and also tested this locally, If we try to rollback to 2.3.0,
new consumers will not be able to join the group and will be kicked out
with the following error:
-----------
org.apache.kafka.common.errors.InconsistentGroupProtocolException: The
group member's supported protocols are incompatible with those of existing
members or the first group member tried to join with empty protocol type or
empty protocol list.

I saw the below line in KIP, but could not find `rebalance.protocol` config
in ConsumerConfig.

`*The right way to downgrade is first rolling bounce the instances while
setting "rebalance.protocol" to "compatible", and then a second rolling
bounce to set the rebalance protocol to "eager" if necessary.`*

Can somebody please point me in the right direction regarding how to
downgrade is needed?

Regards,
Vipul