CC'd the +1ers of KIP-653 with detailed context:

When I submitted and got the approval of KIP-653: Upgrade log4j to log4j2
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-653%3A+Upgrade+log4j+to+log4j2>,
I thought the log4j2-appender should not be the scope of the work. But it
was wrong.

Since the VerifiableLog4jAppender tool is built upon log4j-appender, log4j
1.x artifact will co-exist with log4j2 artifact in the classpath within
this scheme. Since the log4j 1.x code is not called anymore, I thought it
is not problematic but actually, it was not - when I started to provide a
preview of KIP-653
<http://home.apache.org/~dongjin/post/apache-kafka-log4j2-support/>, some
users reported that sometimes slf4j fails to find the appropriate binding
within the classpath, resulting fail to append the log message.

To resolve this problem, I subtly adjusted the scope of the work; I
excluded Tools and Trogdor from KIP-653 and extended KIP-719 to take care
of them instead, along with providing log4j2-appender. It is why the
current WIP implementations include some classpath logic in the shell
script and *why KIP-653 only can't complete the log4j2 migration*.

I hope you will check this proposal out.

Best,
Dongjin