Hi Colin,

Sorry, I still don't follow.

Right now `KafkaProducer#send` seems to trigger a metadata fetch.  Today,
we block on that before returning.  Is your proposal that we move the
metadata fetch out of `KafkaProducer#send` entirely?

Even if the metadata fetch moves to be non-blocking, I think we still need
to deal with the problems we've discussed before if the fetch happens in
the `KafkaProducer#send` method.  How do we maintain the ordering semantics
of `KafkaProducer#send`?  How do we prevent our buffer from filling up?
Which thread is responsible for checking poll()?

The only approach I can see that would avoid this would be moving the
metadata fetch to happen at a different time.  But it's not clear to me
when would be a more appropriate time to do the metadata fetch than
`KafkaProducer#send`.

I think there's something I'm missing here.  Would you mind helping me
figure out what it is?

Best,
Moses