Thanks for the quick replies, Luke and Sophie.

I've not voted, but I agree with accepting the KIP since it's a superior
feature. I was just reacting mostly to this comment since it didn't mention
open issues:

> > > Thanks Luke. We may as well get this KIP in to 3.0 so that we can fully
> > > enable cooperative rebalancing
> > > by default in 3.0 if we have KAFKA-12477 done in time, and if we don't
> > then
> > > there's no harm as it's
> > > not going to change the behavior.

But I see now, as Luke said, that the main issue is already considered a
blocker so it was assumed. Though, I did also wonder if any bugs that may have
existed since several version ago should actually hold up 3.0, which I know is
especially about moving away from ZooKeeper.

My sentiment was just that during many release cycles of Kafka since
cooperative was introduced, there have been issues discovered. And that makes
sense given that the implementation was complex and quite a lot of code changed
to make it happen. Hopefully the last of the kinks will have been worked out
before 3.0. I just wondered if it should be a default in 3.0 if it hasn't yet
been free of defects for a significant period of time. KIP-726 doesn't list any
drawbacks for cooperative-sticky, but perhaps this is one. I also appreciate
that it's already successfully adopted by many, particularly streams / connect
users. But this may also be where the feature has the most benefit due to
expensive setup/teardown during rebalance, and stop-the-world can be less of a
concern for many "regular consumers".

This is probably irrelevant here, but another thing to mention is that the
feature is also very new for C/C++ users in librdkafka, so not many in that
community have tried incremental cooperative yet. And bugs are still recently
being worked out there too.

Just playing devil's advocate here, sorry to come across as a negative nancy!