Hi Ryanne,

this proposal stems from a need to improve troubleshooting Kafka issues.

As it currently stands, when an application team is experiencing Kafka
service degradation,
or the Kafka operator is seeing misbehaving clients, there are plenty of
steps that needs
to be taken before any client-side metrics can be observed at all, if at
all:
 - Is the application even collecting client metrics? If not it needs to be
reconfigured or implemented, and restarted;
   a restart may have business impact, and may also temporarily? remedy the
problem without giving any further insight
   into what was wrong.
 - Are the desired metrics collected? Where are they stored? For how long?
Is there enough correlating information
   to map it to cluster-side metrics and events? Does the application
on-call know how to find the collected metrics?
 - Export and send these metrics to whoever knows how to interpret them. In
what format? Are all relevant metadata fields
   provided?

The KIP aims to solve all these obstacles by giving the Kafka operator the
tools to collect this information.

Regards,
Magnus