Ryanne/James

Yes, the proposed values are kinda arbitrary. I just want to prevent
users from setting segment.ms to 1 ms or segment.bytes to 1 byte,
which will blow the file handles count and crash the broker.

Because of that and James' input, I have updated the KIP to add broker
configuration to set the minimum value. Every environment will need
different minimum values. And they may need to be modified
temporarily, like James' use case.

Thank you for reviewing the KIP.

Regards
Badai

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 12:09 AM Ryanne Dolan <ryannedo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Badai, the KIP makes sense to me, but could you maybe add some evidence to
> support your proposed values? I'm sure they come from experience but I
> don't think they are obvious and so may appear arbitrary.
>
> Ryanne
>

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 4:23 PM Badai Aqrandista <ba...@confluent.io.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have just created KIP-760
> > (
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-760%3A+Increase+minimum+value+of+segment.ms+and+segment.bytes
> > ).
> >
> > I created this KIP because I have seen so many Kafka brokers crash due
> > to small segment.ms and/or segment.bytes.
> >
> > Please let me know what you think.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Badai