Thanks Luke for the KIP.

I think I understand the motivation is to avoid affecting offset positions
of the records, but the feature could be easily realized on the user side
by using manual offset commit + offset position rewind. So the new peek()
function doesn't provide any new functionality IMHO, weakening the
motivation a bit.

Additionally, for the peek() case, I believe that users may want to have
more fine-grained exposure of records, such as from specific partitions
instead of getting random records. It's probably useful to define an option
handle class in the parameters to help clarify what specific records to be
returned.

Boyang