Hey Jason,

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding your first point. Yes, you have it right. Let me complement
the KIP to be clearer.

Regarding your second point. That is right. New partitions would not
be detected while the leader is down. It is definitely not ideal but that
seems acceptable to me, at least as a first step. Adding partitions to
a topic is an infrequent event so the likelihood of having it while the
leader is down is rather low but that could happen.

The only way to not suffer from this would be to monitor the metadata
changes on the broker side. This implies that we would parse both the
subscriptions and the assignments in order to have the full list of topics.
I am not sure that it is worth doing it at the moment given that we are
thinking about a new consumer protocol. What do you think?

I suppose that we would need both in the long term as the current protocol
is a bit weird at the moment so we need to fix it anyway. We could
use this KIP to fix the protocol and do a subsequent KIP in the future for
the server side monitoring if we need it.

Best,
David