Kafka internal topics are… well… internal, and we don’t guarantee anything
about their format or whether or not they are present, etc. There is no
guarantee that Kafka will always use __consumer-offsets to manage offsets — it
could change in the future. I think the big mistake we made is making them
visible to ordinary clients at all.

So I would argue that this is not a regression since clients should not be
accessing internal topics.

best,
Colin