Hi All,

The admin, consumer and producer client creation are all lazy connections, in
the sense that one only knows that the connection is “healthy” when an “action”
is carried out (e.g., send a message).

There is no API call to check if the connection is healthy or if there are any
issues with connectivity.
E.g., I could give an incorrect host/port address and will not know until I try
the first action.

However, I do see a need for healthcheck after creating the client.
E.g., I could be looking at sending “yesterday’s data change for an
application” which may be quite expensive. If I run the 1-hr query and then
find that the Kafka connection was invalid, it’s a lot of time/effort wasted.

For such and other cases, it’s worthwhile to have a healthcheck that can be
done before (and even after) running the expensive operation to validate the
client connection.

Does it make sense to extend the client APIs (interfaces) with a healthcheck?
Again, the term “healthcheck” may sound “sysadmin”, but it’s not.
Alternatively, it may be even made implicit like in a JDBC connection, which if
we know has been established assures that the client connection is ready for
service.

Thanks,
Jayesh Thakrar

Disclaimer The information in this email and any attachments may contain
proprietary and confidential information that is intended for the addressee(s)
only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, retention or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. When addressed to our clients or vendors, any
information contained in this e-mail or any attachments is subject to the terms
and conditions in any governing contract. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately contact the sender and delete the e-mail.