> Are there cases where the metrics plugin developers would want to forward
> the compressed payload without decompressing?

The only interoperable use-case I can think of would be to forward the
payloads directly to an OpenTelemetry collector backend.
Today OTLP only mandates gzip/none compression support for gRPC and HTTP
protocols, so this might only work for a limited set
of compression formats (or no compression) out of the box.

see
https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-specification/blob/main/specification/protocol/otlp.md#protocol-details

Maybe we could consider exposing the raw uncompressed bytes regardless of
client side compression, if someone wanted
to avoid the cost of de-serializing the payload, since there would always
be an option to forward that as-is, and let the opentelemetry collector add
tags relevant to the broker originating those client metrics.