Hello Jim,

Thanks for the proposed KIP. I have some meta questions about it:

1) Would an instance always pause/resume all of its current owned
topologies (i.e. the named topologies), or are there any scenarios where we
only want to pause/resume a subset of them?

2) From a user's perspective, do we want to always issue a `pause/resume`
to all the instances or not? For example, we can define the semantics of
the function as "you only need to call this function on any of the
application's instances, and all instances would then pause (via the
rebalance error codes)", or as "you would call this function for all the
instances of an application". Which one are you referring to?

3) With EOS, there's a transaction timeout which would determine how long a
transaction can stay idle before it's force-aborted on the broker side. I
think when a pause is issued, that means we'd need to immediately commit
the current transaction for EOS since we do not know how long we could
pause for. Is that right? If yes could you please clarify that in the doc
as well.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang