Hi, Colin,

10. "That all goes away in the new mode, and we just have some code which
analyzes __cluster_metadata and reflects it in 1) updates to ZK and 2)
messages sent out to brokers."
Hmm, I am not sure it's that simple. Some of the complexity of the ZK-based
controller are (1) using the pipelining approach to write to ZK for better
throughput and using conditional writes for correctness; (2) sending the
proper LeaderAndIsr and UpdateMetadata requests. For example, during
controller failover, the full metadata needs to be sent while during
individual broker failure, only some of the metadata needs to be updated.
The controlled shutdown handling sometimes uses StopReplicaRequest  and
some other times uses LeaderAndIsrRequest. (3) triggering new events based
on the responses of LeaderAndIsr (e.g. for topic deletion). Some of those
complexity could be re-implemented in a more efficient way, but we need to
be really careful not to generate regression. Some of the other complexity
just won't go away. Reimplementing all those logic for the 30 or so events
in the ZK-based controller is possible, but seems a bit daunting and risky.

Thanks,

Jun