So my only 2 cents on this KIP is mainly from a REST perspective, i.e. in the
KIP you mention that you need to add a new field "state.v2": “STOPPED” due to
maintaining backwards compatibility with older brokers. My main qualm here is
that putting versioning into JSON field names isn’t typically the best from a
REST design perspective. I would propose using something like “current_state":
“STOPPED” instead or anything other field name that seems appropriate.

There may be other alternatives as well but in summary there appears to be a
tradeoff between making sure the new design is clean from a REST standpoint
(which is where I am personally leaning) versus making the transition
easier/more understandable for older brokers.

Regards,

--
Matthew de Detrich
Aiven Deutschland GmbH

Geschäftsführer: Oskari Saarenmaa & Hannu Valtonen
m: +491603708037
w: aiven.io e: matthew.dedetr...@aiven.io