Jun,

20/21. I was also wondering about a "migration" record. In addition to the
scenario you mentioned, we also need a way to prevent the cluster from
re-entering the dual write mode after the migration has been finalized. I
could see this happening inadvertently via a change in some configuration
management system. How about we add a record that marks the beginning and
end of the dual-write mode. The first occurrence of the record could be
included in the metadata transaction when we migrate data from ZK.

With this, the active controller would decide whether to enter dual write
mode, finalize the migration based, or fail based on:

* Metadata log state
* It's own configuration ("kafka.metadata.migration.enable",
"zookeeper.connect", etc)
* The other controllers configuration (via ApiVersionsResponse)

WDYT?

22. Since we will need the fencing anyways as a safe-guard, then I agree
would could skip the registration of KRaft brokers in ZK to simply things a
bit.

Thanks,
David

--