Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand how StateStores work internally for some changes
that I plan to propose, and I'd like some clarification around checkpoint
files and position files.

It appears as though position files are relatively new, and were created as
part of the IQv2 initiative, as a means to track the position of the local
state store so that reads could be bound by particular positions?

Checkpoint files look much older, and are managed by the Task itself
(actually, ProcessorStateManager). It looks like this is used exclusively
for determining a) whether to restore a store, and b) which offsets to
restore from?

If I've understood the above correctly, is there any scope to potentially
replace checkpoint files with StateStore#position()?

Regards,

Nick