Hi Greg,

Thanks for the KIP! This part of Connect has been due for an update for a
while, it's nice to see it getting some attention. I especially like how
the migration plan is broken down into affected personas; makes review
easier and, hopefully, makes the feature easier to understand for affected
users.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Will workers' resiliency to packaging issues be affected when the new
scanning behavior is enabled? For example, will a single poorly-packaged
plugin prevent other correctly-packaged plugins from being loaded, or
worse, cause the worker to fail? And either way, are there any details that
we can call out to back up any guarantees we want to provide on that front?

2. I think the description of the "--plugin-location" flag may need some
updating? In the middle of the list of bullet points there's "The value of
this argument will be a single plugin, which can be any of the following:"
but the following points don't appear to be related.

3. (Nit) Could we rename the migration script something like
"connect-migrate-plugin-path" or even just "connect-plugin-path" with a
"migrate" subcommand?

4. It's noted that "If a plugin class is removed from the path, the
corresponding shim manifest should also be removed". Did you consider
adding behavior (possibly guarded behind a CLI flag) to find and remove
manifests for nonexistent plugins?

5. What's the concrete plan for updating the plugins that ship OOTB with
Connect? Will they be given a service loader manifest, a module info file,
or both?

6. In the HYBRID_WARN mode, what precedence will we give to plugins that
are found by both the legacy scanning logic and the new service
loader/module info loading logic?

7. It's a bit strange to immediately deprecate config property values and
the migration script in their first release. IMO as long as we have the
migration script in the project, it doesn't make sense to deprecate it, and
until we've had at least one successful release with the new loading logic
and some confidence in it, we should not deprecate the older logic. I think
a more reasonable pace for the update here could be to deprecate the legacy
scanning logic in 4.0 (changing the default accordingly) and remove it
entirely in 5.0.

Cheers,

Chris