Hi, Igor,

Thanks for the reply. A few more replies and comments.

31. Thanks for the explanation. This looks good to me then.

35. Yes, you are right.

36. Yes, this seems fine since the KRaft controller allows broker requests
before it's being unfenced.

37. Yes, it's probably simpler without the optimization for the case with a
single log dir.

41. "If log directory that holds the cluster metadata topic is configured
separately to a different path — using metadata.log.dir — then the
respective UUID for this log directory is excluded from both online and
offline sets, as the broker cannot run if this particular log directory is
unavailable." Hmm, there could be user partitions on metadata.log.dir. So
the controller needs to know the disk UUID for that dir, right? Otherwise,
the controller will keep setting those replicas disk id to zero.

42. "If an entry is removed from log.dirs  the broker can also
automatically update directory.ids as long as no log directories are
offline when the broker comes back up." This makes the removal of a disk
less convenient than before since one can't just remove the disk from
log.dirs and decommission the disk in a single step.

43. "If the broker knows that the partition already exists in a different
log directory that is now offline" The broker may not know that since
currently we remove the offline partitions from LogManager.

44. "When configured for the migration and while still in ZK mode, brokers
will: update meta.properties to generate and include directory.id  and
directory.ids;" I guess there is no downgrade after this point? In KIP-866,
the meta.properties is only changed after the upgrade is finalized.

Thanks,

Jun