Hey lads,

I was thinking about message conversions and zero copy, as we know TLS will
break the zero copy as the encrypt/decrypt happens in userland, correct?

For example  ProduceMessageConversionsPerSec  will be triggered when a
message must be converted (for example compressing at topic level).

Should we consider the TLS layer a conversion as well? My concern is we are
"hiding" this metric, so let's suppose I have my cluster using TLS (it
means zero-copy is already "broken") then I activate the compression at
topic level.
Now I will see the values in ProduceMessageConversionsPerSec  as the
conversion is happening (tracking the compression at topic level) but the
reality is it was already happening before because of the TLS, so in terms
of performance it's a kind of illusion as it seems the conversion is not
costing any extra CPU cycles.

If you think it is a good idea maybe we could include the count on the
ProduceMessageConversionsPerSec when the TLS is enabled, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Sergio Troiano