Hey Radim

After reading the KIP, I am still not sure about the motivation for this
change. The bottleneck in starting a producer on Kafka is setup of the
network connection with the broker (since it performs SSL + AuthN). From
what I understand, checkpoint and restore is not going to help with that.
Also, Kafka clients are supposed to be long running clients which aren't
supposed to be destroyed and re-created quickly in a short span. I fail to
understand the benefit of using CRaC for the producer. Perhaps I am missing
something very obvious here, but please help me understand more.

I was wondering if you are aware of any Kafka user use cases which could be
positively impacted by this change? Adding these use cases to the
motivation will greatly help in convincing the community about the impact
of this change.

A use case that I can think of is to aid debugging of a faulty cluster. If
we get the ability to snapshot a broker when it is mis-behaving, then we
could re-use the snapshot to re-create the exact production setup in a
local environment where we can test things. But that would be a larger
change since capturing the state of a broker is much more than in-memory
Java objects. Perhaps, you can try approaching the usefulness of this new
technology from this lens?

--
Divij Vaidya