Thanks for the KIP, Colin.  The KIP cals one metric
"NewActiveControllersCount" but we don't append "Count" to the other
metric names (e.g. it is "TimedOutBrokerHeartbeats" instead of
"TimedOutBrokerHeartbeatsCount").  Should we be consistent (either use
the suffix everywhere or don't use it anywhere)?

The phrase "Note that only active controllers handle heartbeats, so
only they will see increases in this metric." could apply elsewhere
but is not mentioned elsewhere.  For example, while standy controllers
have a queue and will publish metrics related to it, the queue will
remain empty (and the number of timeouts will remain constant) until a
controller becomes active.  Or is that incorrect?

I wonder if we can be more generic and index these things by operation type.

Ron