On Thu, Jun 8, 2023, at 10:00, David Arthur wrote:
> Colin, thanks for the KIP! These all seem like pretty useful additions. A
> few quick questions
>
> 1) Will the value of TimedOutBrokerHeartbeatCount be zero for inactive
> controllers?

No. It will just stay at whatever it was when the controller became inactive
(or 0 if it was never active).

> Will the value reset to zero after an election, or only
> process restart?

Only process restart.

The reason is that if the metric resets on a new controller being elected, a
lot of metrics collection systems will potentially miss it. After all, one
pattern we've seen is excessive load leading to excessive controller elections.

> 2) Does HandleLoadSnapshotCount include the initial load?

It does count the initial load.

> I.e., will it always be at least 1

Well, there isn't an initial load, if the cluster is brand new. :)

But yes, in general a value of 1 is expected.

best,
Colin