Hi Kenneth,

Recently we noticed that there's an issue in the Sarama client's broker
address management.
Although the Sarama client fetches the latest broker information and
stores it in the brokers
<https://github.com/IBM/sarama/blob/main/client.go#L155C6-L155C6> list, the
seedbrokers
<https://github.com/IBM/sarama/blob/main/client.go#L151C5-L151C5> list is
never refreshed and it's always the first broker being used
<https://github.com/IBM/sarama/blob/main/client.go#L765C11-L765C11>. This
has caused two problems for us:

   1. The broker hostname might be re-used and the same hostname may be
   pointing to a broker in another cluster. This will make consumers read from
   the low watermark for a topic with the same name in the wrong cluster.
   2. The client may completely fail the topic discovery and be stuck in
   group rebalance and unable to consume messages.

We are wondering if similar problems are spotted in your usage.

Best,
Qichao Chu
Software Engineer | Data - Kafka
[image: Uber] <https://uber.com/>