Hey Andrew -

+1 but I don't have a binding vote!

It took me a while to go through the KIP. Here are some of my notes during
the reading:

*Metrics*
- Should we care about the client's leader epoch? There is a case where the
user recreates the topic, but the consumer thinks it is still the same
topic and therefore, attempts to start from an offset that doesn't exist.
KIP-848 addresses this issue, but I can still see some potential benefits
from knowing the client's epoch information.
- I assume poll idle is similar to poll interval: I needed to read the
description a few times.
- I don't have a clear use case in mind for the commit latency, but I do
think sometimes people lack clarity about how much progress was tracked by
the auto-commit.  Would tracking auto-commit-related metrics be useful? I
was thinking: the last offset committed or the actual cadence in ms.
- Are there cases when we need to increase the cadence of telemetry data
push? i.e. variable interval.
- Thanks for implementing the randomized initial metric push; I think it is
really important.
- Is there a potential use case for tracking the number of active
partitions? The consumer can pause partitions via API, during revocation,
or during offset reset for the stream.

*Connections*:
- The KIP stated that it will keep the same connection until the connection
is disconnected. I wonder if that could potentially cause congestion if it
is already a busy channel, which leads to connection timeout and
subsequently disconnection.