Hi Kirk,
Thanks for your question. You are correct that the presence or absence of the
new RPCs in the
ApiVersionsResponse tells the client whether to request the telemetry
subscriptions and push
metrics.

This is of course tricky in practice. It would be conceivable, as a cluster is
upgraded to AK 3.7
or as a client metrics receiver plugin is deployed across the cluster, that a
client connects to some
brokers that support the new RPCs and some that do not.

Here’s my suggestion:
* If a client is not connected to any brokers that support in the new RPCs, it
cannot push metrics.
* If a client is only connected to brokers that support the new RPCs, it will
use the new RPCs in
accordance with the KIP.
* If a client is connected to some brokers that support the new RPCs and some
that do not, it will
use the new RPCs with the supporting subset of brokers in accordance with the
KIP.

Comments?

Thanks,
Andrew

> [...]
>> reference the underlying implementation of the client (which
>> producer.record.queue.time.max
>> of course does).
>>
>> I suppose someone might build a producer-only client that didn’t have
>> consumer metrics.
>> In this case, the consumer metrics would conceptually have the value 0 and
>> would not
>> need to be sent to the broker.
>>
>> 114.2. If a client does not implement some metrics, they will not be
>> available for
>> analysis and troubleshooting. It just makes the ability to combine metrics
>> from lots
>> different clients less complete.
>>
>> 115. I think it was probably a mistake to be so specific about threading in
>> this KIP.
>> When the consumer threading refactor is complete, of course, it would do the
>> appropriate
>> equivalent. I’ve added a clarification and massively simplified this section.
>>
>> 116. I removed “client.terminating”.
>>
>> 117. Yes. Horrid. Fixed.
>>
>> 118. The Terminating flag just indicates that this is the final
>> PushTelemetryRequest
>> from this client. Any subsequent request will be rejected. I think this flag
>> should remain.
>>
>> 119. Good catch. This was actually contradicting another part of the KIP.
>> The current behaviour
>> is indeed preserved. If the broker doesn’t have a client metrics receiver
>> plugin, the new RPCs
>> in this KIP are “turned off” and not reported in ApiVersionsResponse. The
>> client will not
>> attempt to push metrics.
>>
>> 120. The error handling table lists the error codes for
>> PushTelemetryResponse. I’ve added one
>> but it looked good to me. GetTelemetrySubscriptions doesn’t have any error
>> codes, since the
>> situation in which the client telemetry is not supported is handled by the
>> RPCs not being offered
>> by the broker.
>>
>> 121. Again, I think it’s probably a mistake to be specific about threading.
>> Removed.
>>
>> 122. Good catch. For DescribeConfigs, the ACL operation should be
>> “DESCRIBE_CONFIGS”. For AlterConfigs, the ACL operation should be
>> “ALTER” (not “WRITE” as it said). The checks are made on the CLUSTER
>> resource.
>>
>> Thanks for the detailed review.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew
>>

>>> 110. Another potential motivation is the multiple clients support. Some of
>>> the places may not have good monitoring support for non-java clients.
>>>
>>> 111. OpenTelemetry Naming: We replace '-' with '.' for metric name and
>>> replace '-' with '_' for attributes. Why is the inconsistency?
>>>
>>> 112. OTLP specification: Page is not found from the link.
>>>
>>> 113. "Defining standard and required metrics makes the monitoring and
>>> troubleshooting of clients from various client types ": Incomplete sentence.

>>> 114.1 Do other clients need to implement those metrics with the exact same
>>> names?