Hi Calvin,

Thanks for the KIP. I think the config discussion was good and I have no more
comments there.

I have one last thing I think we should fix up:

I think we should improve DescribeTopicRequest. The current mechanism of "you
can only list 20 topics" doesn't do a very good job of limiting the results.
After all, if those topics only have 1 partition each, this means a pretty
small RPC. If they have 10,000 partitions each, then it's a very large RPC.

I think a better mechanism would be:
1. Have the request be a list of (topic_name, partition_id) pairs plus a
(first_topic_name, first_partition_id) pair.
(for the initial request, first_topic_name="" and first_partition_id=-1, of
course)
(if partition_id = -1 then we should list all partitions for the topic)

2. When returning results, sort everything alphabetically and return the first
1000, plus a (next_topic, next_partition_id) pair. (if there is nothing more to
return, next_topic = null.)

With those changes I would be +1

best,
Colin

If the response wasn't long enough, the caller can set