I have a fix for KAFKA-15968
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15968> here
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/14919/. After a bit of digging, I
found that this behavior has existed in the KRaft controller since the
beginning, so it is not a regression.

Another thing I observed while investigating this is that MetadataLoader
*does* treat CorruptRecordExceptions as fatal, which leads to the crash we
want. RaftClient calls handleCommit serially for all its listeners, so if
QuorumController#handleCommit is called first and does not crash, the call
to MetadataLoader#handleCommit will crash.

Considering these two factors, I don't strongly feel like we need to block
the release for this fix.

-David

--
-David