Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for opening this KIP, and making sure Kafka keeps up
with the rest of the Java ecosystem!

I took a look around at some Open Source connector implementations,
and checked their Java version support:
* The Aiven connect plugins (http, bigquery, jdbc, elasticsearch,
opensearch, commons, s3, transforms, gcs), 6/9 are tested with JDK 17
in CI, 2/9 JDK 11, and 1/9 JDK 8. I'll look into improving the testing
matrix, but I don't expect substantial problems with requiring JDK 17.
* The Debezium Project lists Java 11+ compatibility:
https://debezium.io/releases/ and appears to use Java 22 (ga) and 23
(ea) in their CI:
https://github.com/debezium/debezium/blob/9cdaa38453c9f065c6075d31636592a5b147518f/.github/workflows/jdk-outreach-workflow.yml#L20

I think the bigger problem really is the ConnectRestExtension, since
we've baked the rs-api type into the signature of
ConnectRestExtensionContext.
* Aiven doesn't have any ConnectRestExtensions, so this isn't a concern for us.
* The Debezium Project has at least 6 ConnectRestExtension
implementations:
https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Adebezium%2Fdebezium+ConnectRestExtension+language%3AJava&type=code&l=Java
. Some of these are baked into artifacts that I know for a fact are
used in normal connect deployments.
* I found a healthcheck extension that looks unmaintained:
https://github.com/LoObp4ck/kafka-connect-healthchecks/blob/2d9dbfee900d9f85e6acd9a09bd04969afa46261/src/main/java/com/loobpack/data/kafka/connect/healthcheck/extension/HealthCheckConnectRestExtension.java#L9

I figure that adopting this KIP would mean that the Debezium project
would be forced to bump their major version 3.0 to be compatible with
Connect 4.0, or otherwise change their packaging, so I'd like to hear
from the Debezium folks what they think of this proposal.

Thanks,
Greg