Hi Kirk,
Thanks for your comments.

1. I’m a big fan of consistency in these things and the method signatures match
ListConsumerGroupsResult and ListShareGroupsResult.

2. Yes, client-side filtering.

3. I didn’t offer “classic” as an option for --group-type. I’ve kicked the
options
around in my mind for a while and I decided that using --group-type as a way of
filtering types in a way that a normal user would understand them was a good
place to start. For example, I didn’t have `--protocol consumer` for consumer
groups
and `--group-type share` for share groups, even though that’s technically more
correct.

Since KIP-848, the set of consumer groups is actually formed from those which
use the classic protocol and those which use the modern protocol. This tool
gives you both together when you use `--group-type consumer`, which is exactly
what kafka-consumer-groups.sh does.

Do you think - -group-type classic is helpful? It would give a list of all
groups using
any variant of the classic group protocol. I can easily add it.

4, 5. Yes, maybe the wording of the message could improve. These things are
always
tricky. I went with “Group CG1 is not a share group.” because it doesn’t
require the tool
to interpret the group type in order to generate the message.

Imagine this scenario. You are using kafka-share-groups.sh --describe and you’ve
used the group ID of a consumer group. Here are some options:

a) “Group CG1 is not a share group.”
b) “Incorrect group type (Consumer). Group CG1 is not a share group.”
c) “Group CG1 has the wrong type for this operation. It is not a share group."

I don’t think “There is already a (consumer) group named ‘CG1’” is quite right.

Any preference?

6. Yes, it is a change in behaviour which is why I mention it in the KIP.
Personally, I think that’s OK because the existing message is misleading
and could definitely cause frustration. Let’s see what other reviewers think.

Thanks,
Andrew