From: Hector Geraldino (BLOOMBERG/ 919 3RD A) <hgerald...@bloomberg.net>
Date: Saturday, 8 June 2024 at 12:13 AM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org <dev@kafka.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-1054: Support external schemas in
JSONConverter
Hi,

Is this KIP focusing on Sink connectors? Meaning, is the idea to be able to
decode JSON messages into Connect records using a schema read from disk?

If I look at this from the perspective of a source connector, not including the
schema contents - or the ID of a schema from a schema registry - is exactly the
same as not using schemas at all. Right?

From: dev@kafka.apache.org At: 06/07/24 14:16:13 UTC-4:00To:
dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-1054: Support external schemas in JSONConverter

Hi Priyanka,

Thanks for the KIP! I think you captured the motivation well: The Converter
interface on its own implies a fairly large raw message size, and the
ecosystem's strategies for deduplicating schema information are complex. I
did have some questions/concerns.

1. Have you done a comparison between the external schemas approach and the
current schemas.enable approach with compression enabled? I think that's
currently the best alternative for users without an external schemas
service, so I'd like to get an idea of how impactful this feature is in an
example use-case.

2. This feature could be implemented without a KIP by creating and
distributing a custom JsonConverter. Could you add that as a rejected
alternative, with some justification for why it was rejected?

3. Recently we made an effort [1] to secure the FileConfigProvider and
DirectoryConfigProvider plugins, which each have the capability of reading
from the worker's disk. How do you think this could be made secure, such
that a REST API user can't have unrestricted access to the filesystem via
this plugin?

And to synthesize points 2 and 3: It is very reasonable for "dangerous"
features to be opted-in through installation of a custom Converter by
operators that understand the risks. It is unreasonable to deliver a
"dangerous" feature to operators without a simple way to opt-out, as the
upstream plugins are somewhat difficult to remove.

Thanks,
Greg

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-993%3A+Allow+restricting+f
iles+accessed+by+File+and+Directory+ConfigProviders

On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 8:40 AM Fan Yang <fan...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Priyanka,
>
> My suggestion is that the we can place schema file at any location, such
> as file location, network location, etc. So, the new option could be just
> schema.location
>

> Best,
> Fan

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-1054%3A+Support+external+s