Hi Divij,

On Sun, Jun 16, 2024 at 7:38 PM Divij Vaidya <divijvaidy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Federico
>
> Please note that the topic-based RLMM is one of the possible
> implementations of RLMM. Hence, whatever solution we design here should: 1\
> be explicit that this tooling only works for topic based RLMM 2\ specify
> the handling of the failure mode when topic based RLMM is not being used.

That's true, thanks for pointing out.

> I would argue that Topic based RLMM cannot be treated the same as other
> internal topics. Topic based RLMM topic is an optional topic which can have
> any possible schema (depending on plugin implementation) whereas
> other internal topics are always guaranteed to be present with a fixed
> schema.

Right, I updated the KIP with an improved option description.

> In light of the above statements, the rejected alternative sounds better to
> me because:
> 1\ it provides the ability to dump logs for "any" RLMM implementation and
> not just topic based RLMM.
> 2\ we don't have to deal with schema evolution of topic based RLMM in this
> tool. That responsibility will be delegated to the decoder class which the
> operator can define using the flag "--value-decoder-class".
>
> Is there a reason that you are unable to use the rejected solution (which
> requires no changes) for debugging purposes?

The rejected alternative will still be available, but I thought that
having a dedicated flag would make debugging easier, as I guess most
people will use the default RLMM implementation. I would be happy to
hear other opinions on this.