From: Sejal Patel <se...@playerzero.ai>
Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 14:16
To: us...@kafka.apache.org <us...@kafka.apache.org>,
kafka-clie...@googlegroups.com <kafka-clie...@googlegroups.com>,
dev@kafka.apache.org <dev@kafka.apache.org>, Wojciech Frycz
<wojciech.fr...@grandparade.co.uk>
Cc: Cezary Gajdzinski <cezary.gajdzin...@williamhill.com>, Slawomir Kmiecik
<slawomir.kmie...@grandparade.co.uk>, Ricardo Antunes (WH Online)
<ricardo.antu...@williamhill.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Kafka upgrade recommendation
Hey Wojciech,

It has been a long time since we did the jump but we had waited until 3.3.x
release when we did the jump and there were a lot of manual steps at that time.
We then had another manual step when going to either 3.4 or 3.5 don't remember
which but that one was easier cause we did have the option to turn off every
broker and kraft server at once to do that one safely. I would suggest going
from 2.6.2 to 3.6.2 and then stopping and waiting until 3.7.1 comes out as
there is a pretty serious flaw in 3.7.0. And I would suggest probably seeing
what the official migration guides have to say because my understanding is that
the bulk of the changes since we started the migration is around making sure it
is a smooth and safe upgrade process overall.

The other option that you could always do (our fallback plan) is to spinup a
brand new cluster and to copy all the topics from the old cluster to the new
cluster. Tedious and takes several days depending on how much data you have but
it is safe and works as well.

Sorry I don't know what are all of the options and a lot has changed since we
had to do the hard step of going from 2 to 3. Once on 3.x, the upgrades have
been pretty smooth.

On Mon Jun 17, 2024, 10:06 AM GMT, Wojciech