From: Matthias J. Sax <mj...@apache.org>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2024 3:35 PM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: [QUESTION] What to do about conflicted KIP numbers?

I don't think that there is an official guideline.

Personally, I would suggest that the corresponding KIP owners agree who is
keeping the conflicting number, and how is changing it.

For the ones changing the number, I would propose to restart a new DISCUSS
thread using the new number to separate the KIP threads.

Not sure if the is a better way to handle this... Just an idea on how I would
do it.

Not sure if we can improve the wiki instruction to make the race
condition less likely? Seems, this would happen if two people look at
the next KIP number let's say X, but don't bump it right way to X+1 and
publish their KIP with X a few hours/days later without verifying that X
is still next available KIP number?

-Matthias