Hi Greg, Chris

Thanks for the in-depth discussion, I have a couple of discussion points
and would like your thoughts on this.

1) One concern I have with the new addition of 'soft' and 'hard' version
requirements is that there could be a mismatch in the plugin version that
two different tasks are running, if a soft requirement is provided and the
nodes a multi cluster deployment are not in sync w.r.t the plugin versions
that they are configured with. Note that if my assumptions are correct then
this can happen with the existing framework as well, or is there some
safeguard from this happening? So far, we could have pointed to the
misconfigured cluster configuration and somewhat differ this problem to
something outside of connect runtime. With this feature in place perhaps
the expectation is more on connect to not be running with such
inconsistency, especially if a connector version is specified. This is also
a problem with validation if different cluster have different
configurations, as IIRC validations are local to the worker which receives
the rest call for validate. So, we might be validating with a certain
version which is different from the one that will be used to create
connector and tasks. Again, this is likely how the current state is, but
perhaps such inconsistencies warrant a deeper look with the addition of
this feature. The problems associated with them can be somewhat insidious
and hard to diagnose.

2) There was some discussion on the need for a new REST endpoint to provide
information on the versions of running connectors, and I think adding this
information via REST is a valuable addition. The way I see it the version
is an intrinsic property of an instance of a running connector and hence
this should be part of the set of APIs under /connector/<connector-name>
(also the /connectors API should also have this information as it is an
amalgamation of all the individual connector information). We can introduce
a new path under this for version (/connector/connector-name/version), but
perhaps adding this as part of the status is a valid alternative. This is
mentioned as a rejected alternative right now. Also, to go further I think
version information for tasks could also be available, especially if we
choose to not address the pitfalls discussed in my point 1), this will
at-least provide admins a quick and easy way to determine if such and
inconsistent state exist in any of the connectors.

Thanks again for reviving my original KIP and working to improve it.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the points mentioned above.
Regards
Snehashis