>  I thought we still wait for requests (and their errors) to come in and
could handle fatal errors appropriately.

We do wait for requests, but my understanding is that when
commitTransaction("ignore send errors") we want to ignore errors.  So if we
do

1. send
2. commitTransaction("ignore send errors")

the commit will succeed.  You can look at the example in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9279 and just substitute
commitTransaction with commitTransaction("ignore send errors") and we get
the buggy behavior back :-).  Actually, this would potentially be even
worse than the original buggy behavior because the bug was that we ignored
errors that happened in the "send()" method itself, not necessarily the
ones that we got from the broker.

Actually, looking at https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/11508/files,
wouldn't a better solution be to just throw the error from the "send"
method itself, rather than trying to set it to be thrown during commit?
This way the example in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-9279
would be fixed, and at the same time it would give an opportunity for KS to
catch the error and ignore it if needed.  Not sure if we need a KIP for
that, just do a better fix of the old bug.

-Artem