Hi Guozhang,

Thanks for reviewing the KIP, your feedback is extremely valuable.

I think your analysis is quite right  - we care about cases a) and b)
and I generally agree - we want the protocol to be simple and
debuggable. Situation a) should be relatively rare since in the common
case all streams applications run from the same jar/build, and we
shouldn't have zombies that don't update to a new topology. In this
case, it should just be easy to debug. In situation b), things should
"just work". And I think both are enabled by the KIP. In particular,
these situations should be relatively easy to debug:

 - Using DescribeStreamsGroup, you can find out the topology ID of the
group and the topology ID of each member, to understand
inconsistencies.
 - Inconsistent clients and even the broker could log messages to
indicate the inconsistencies.
 - One could also consider exposing the number of clients by topology
IDs as a metric, to enhance observability (this is not in the KIP
yet).

What I'm not sure about is, what you mean precisely by temporarily
blocking progress of the group? Do you propose to stop processing
altogether if topology IDs don't match - wouldn't that defy the aim of
doing a rolling bounce of the application (in case b)?

Cheers,
Lucas