Hi Colin,

The release notes (and the KAFKA-17543 JIRA) say this:
[KAFKA-17543] - Enforce that broker.id.generation.enable is disabled when
migrating to KRaft

When I read that, it meant to me that the option
"broker.id.generation.enable" needs to be disabled (i.e. set to false).
Given this option seems to default to enabled/true, it would mean that
everyone would need to go and update this in their cluster before migration
even if they never used the generated broker IDs. So it would be quite an
important change. But the related PR seems to only check that the "broker.id"
is not set to -1. That seems reasonable and it means that when I don't use
the generated broker IDs I do not need to do anything even if
"broker.id.generation.enable" is enabled / set to true as it is by default.

Maybe it is just me who finds this wrong/confusing. But I think calling it
something like "Enforce that broker.id generation is not used when
migrating to KRaft" would make it much clearer to users reading the release
notes and help them understand what it really means for them.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub