Yeah it is a little bit silly that people are still using Java 6.

I guess this is a tradeoff--being more conservative in our java support
means more people can use our software, whereas upgrading gives us
developers a better experience since we aren't stuck with ancient stuff.

Nonetheless I would argue for being a bit conservative here. Sadly a
shocking number of people are still using Java 6. The Kafka clients get
embedded in applications all over the place, and likely having even one
application not yet upgraded would block adopting the new Kafka version
that dropped java 6 support. So unless there is something in Java 7 we
really really want I think it might be good to hold out a bit.

As an example we dropped java 6 support in Samza and immediately had people
blocked by that, and unlike the Kafka clients, Samza use is pretty
centralized.

-Jay