I've tried to search a bit for what the current status is for Kafka supporting
consumer transactions.

These links look to be the best indication of where things stand with that:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/4TaT4xeqNq1

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Transactional+Messaging+in+Kafka

Based on the release plan link it looks like the hope was to support it in Q2
2014:  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Future+release+plan

Can someone let me know how far along the "transactional_messaging" branch is?
Do I have any "best-effort" ways to do consumer transactional support until
that's been implemented (in case it's needed I believe I will have approx. 4
partitions on my topics, 2 node clusters)?

Thanks
Tony