Jay,

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, we should increase the level of awareness
of compatibility.

For 1 and 2, they probably should include any functional change. For
example, even if there is no change in the binary data format, but the
interpretation is changed, we should consider this as a binary format
change and bump up the version number.

3. Having a wider discussion on api/protocol/data changes in the mailing
list seems like a good idea.

7. It might be good to also document api/protocol/data format that are
considered stable (or unstable). For example, in 0.8.2 release, we will
have a few new protocols (e.g. HeartBeat) for the development of the new
consumer. Those new protocols probably shouldn't be considered stable until
the new consumer is more fully developed.

Thanks,

Jun