I don't think so--see if you buy my explanation. We previously defaulted to
the byte array serializer and it was a source of unending frustration and
confusion. Since it wasn't a required config people just went along
plugging in whatever objects they had, and thinking that changing the
parametric types would somehow help. Then they would get a class case
exception and assume our stuff was somehow busted, not realizing we had
helpfully configured a type different from what they were passing in under
the covers. So I think it is actually good for people to think: how am I
serializing my data, and getting that exception will make them ask that
question right?

-Jay