Justin,

I'd be interested to learn specifically what security features you are
interested in.

There is a doc on the wiki here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Security

As well as the Umbrella JIRA Here:

Most security-related JIRAs have a component listed as security
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1882?jql=project%20%3D%20KAFKA%20AND%20component%20%3D%20security

There is a quite a bit of plumbing work to be done in order for all of the
security features to come together. There technically isn't a 0.9 branch at
the moment, all of the development is being applied to trunk and since
there isn't as of yet even a 0.8.3 branch, I don't think you'd be in a good
spot trying to pull in a bunch of stuff that isn't complete.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Jeff

--